Leprechaun Bread and Gold Butter
submitted by Michelle
Green and yellow food coloring
Packaged bread mix or ingredients below for bread
One pint of heavy cream
A pinch of salt
One quart-size jar with tight lid
- Make the bread according to the package directions or the recipe below.
- Add green food coloring to the dough while kneading (mixing).
- Let the bread rise in a warm place.
- While the bread is rising you can start your butter.
- Pour the heavy cream into the quart-sized jar and add a pinch of salt.
- Also, add a few drops of yellow food coloring.
- Close the lid on the jar tightly. Shake the jar vigorously - this will take a while and you might want to share the shaking. The butter will separate from the whey as you shake.
- Pour off the whey and spoon out the butter.
- Bake the bread according to directions.
- Deliver the warm bread and gold butter to an elderly neighbor, sick friend or lonely acquaintance. It would be nice to include a card or hand made shamrock with the gift.
- 1 pkg. Active dry yeast
- 1/4 c. warm water
- 2 c. milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 stick of butter or margarine
- 5 1/2 - 6 c. flour
- Green food coloring
Steps: Mix yeast in warm water. Heat milk, sugar, salt and butter in saucepan till warm and butter melts (115 degrees). Pour milk mixture and yeast into large bowl and add green food coloring. Slowly mix in flour - 2 cups at a time. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead gently until the dough is smooth. Divide dough in half and shape each half into greased bread pans. Brush top of dough with melted butter. Let rise until double. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. You can test your bread by tapping on the crust. If it makes a hollow sound it is done. Makes two loaves of green bread.